Tuesday 19 November 2013

Karen Duck worth, feedback on the photograph (unit 1 part A)

Image 2
·         Karen Elizabeth Duckworth
Image one
Hi Nikki, sorry for late reply only just got internet today & was proving very difficult to make it to internet cafe for anything other than essential work stuff, even with the best of intentions. Not really sure what to put as comments as only done an a level myself in photography so not sure what they're looking for so here goes- I like the macro aspect & contrast on mirror like reflections where crystals catch the light. Good use of depth of field to highlight this & also emphasising the cuboid shapes of individual crystals. Point of focus used to highlight crystals in foreground, though light source seems to be concentrated on mid ground on left of frame. As I personal opinion, i really like the use of light in pics 1 & 2 of the first lot you sent through as I think this illuminates the crystals on sharp focus 7 differentiates them more strongly from the background, as well as emphasising their structure & shape, creating a stronger focal point for the viewer. Is the image you got printed one of the first lot rotated & cropped, was trying to work that out. Seems similar to image 10, but image 10 seems sharper in more areas to me & gives a more 3d approach as distinct fore, middle & background, with similar tones, I also like the way the crystals in image 10 & highlighted mid ground lead the eye. Alll in all think they're great, very well done. Hope this helps x
Image 10




Karen review on my final piece:
what was your career paths that direct you to photography ? My degree was actually in Biochemistry & I work in medical sales, initially started photography a level at night school for work life balance & being inspired after travelling the world. Always been fascinated by nature & people, mainly documentary style 'capturing things just as they are' possibly from my curiosity to understand how things work & peoples mindsets. Genuine not staged interactions etc etc
How did they get to w    here they are today? erm I've no idea! I 've taken a step back from being full time self-employed with photography as I've realised I'm more interested in taking pictures of people, places & subjects that interest me, possibly with a view in mind to creating a longer term collection of images for various themed exhibitions, rather than kids, portraits, weddings etc. Now the plan is to work out how to get paid for the type of photography I love.I have had several of my documentary & music photo's published in magazines, books etc. & this has come about mainly through my exhibitions How is their work financed? Self-funded predominantly, arts council grant for Blackpool Culture shops exhibition.
How do you continue to develop your own skills? Self analysis really, discussions with peers & other photographers re techniques, being inspired by other artists (inc Nat geographic) & what takes my eye around me. Experimenting. Do organisations support you? No If so which ?
Hope this helps, difficult to answer a lot of the questions as I am only sporadically dabbling in photography at the moment. Oh correction re last message meant to say I also like the way the crystals in image 10 are positioned diagonally etc.
Just a quick point, the questions seemed a bit higgledy-piggledy switching from third to first person, would probably be a good idea to maybe put in your own words or make more personal,
Good luck with everything,

All the best Karen x

Karen being my main practitioner can  me advise on other photograph to try improve the final piece. I felt Janet was more give constructive criticism  on the final piece, Karen was more positive toward the final because she had seen my step by step improvements. She helped work towards the final piece.

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment